Our mission is to foster the improvements in the analysis of health related phenomena among older minority; encourage the development of methods and measures that better capture the health and determinants of health of diverse elders; promote collaboration between RCMAR sites on analysis issues; and disseminate new knowledge in this area.
RCMAR CENTER PUBLICATIONS ON MEASURES & METHODS
- Beaudreau SA, Spira AP, Stewart A, Kezirian EJ, Lui LY, Ensrud K, et al. Validation of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in older black and white women. Sleep Medicine. 2012;13(1):36-42.
- Nápoles AM, Santoyo-Olsson J, Farren G, Olmstead J, Cabral R, Ross B, Gregorich SE, and Stewart AL. (2012). The patient-reported Clinicians' Cultural Sensitivity Survey: A field test among older Latino primary care patients. Health Expectations 15, 63-77.
- Spira AP, Beaudreau SA, Stone KL, Kezirian EJ, Lui LY, Redline S, Ancoli-Israel S, Ensrud K, Stewart A. Reliability and Validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in Older Men. Journal of Gerontology A Biological Science Medical Science. 2012;67(4):433-9.
- Stewart AL, Thrasher AD, Goldberg J, Shea J (2012) A framework for understanding modifications to measures for diverse populations. Journal of Aging & Health, April 10, epub ahead of print.
- Teresi, JA., Ramirez, M., Jones, RN., Choi, S., Crane, PK. (2012). Modifying measures based on Differential Item Functioning (DIF) impact analyses. Journal of Aging & Health, April 10, epub ahead of print.
- Thrasher AD, Clay OJ, Ford CL, Stewart AL (2012). Theory-guided selection of discrimination measures for racial/ethnic disparities research among older adults. Journal of Aging & Health, April 10, epub ahead of print.
- Weech-Maldonado R, Dreachslin JL, Brown J, Pradhan R, Schiller C, Hays RD. Cultural Competency Assessment Tool for Hospitals (CCATH): Evaluating hospitals' adherence to the CLAS standards. Health Care Manage Rev. 2012 Jan-Mar;37(1):54-66. PMID: 21934511. PMC Journal- In Process.
- Cherepanov D, Palta M, Fryback DG, Robert SA, Hays RD, Kaplan RM. Gender differences in multiple underlying dimensions of health-related quality of life are associated with sociodemographic and socioeconomic status. Med Care. 2011 Nov;49(11):1021-30. PMID: 21945974. NIHMSID: NIHMS319737.
- Fongwa MN, Setodji CM, Pax SH, Morales LS, Steers NW, Hays RD. Readability and missing data in CAHPS 2.0 Medicare survey in African American and White Medicare respondents. Health Outcomes Research in Medicine. 2010 Jul;1(1): e39-e49. (This is a journal in which PMID & PMCID are not applicable.)
- Setodji CM, Reise SP, Morales LS, Fongwa MN, Hays RD. Differential item functioning by survey language among older Hispanics enrolled in Medicare managed care. A new method for anchor item selection. Med Care. 2011 May;49(5):461-168. Epub 2011 Mar 18. PMID: 21422959. PMC Journal- In process.
- Williams KP, Templin TN & Hines RD. Answering the Call: A Tool that Measures Functional Breast Cancer Literacy. Journal of Health Communication. in press
- Yang FM, Heslin KC, Mehta KM, Yang C-W, Ocepek-Welikson K, Kleinman M, Morales LS, Hays RD, Stewart AL, Mungas D, Jones RN, Teresi JA. Comparison of item response theory-based methods for examining differential item functioning in object naming test by language of assessment among older Latinos. Psychological Test and Assessment Modeling. 2011 Fall;53(4):440-460.
- Yen IH, Shim JK, Martinez AD, Barker JC. Older people and social connectedness: how place and activities keep people engaged. Journal of Aging Research. 2011, in press.
- Leung CW, Gregorich SE, Laraia BA, Kushi LH, Yen IH. Measuring the neighborhood environment: associations with young girls' energy intake and expenditure in a cross-sectional study. The International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2010;7:52. PMCID: PMC2893449.
- Napoles AM, Santoyo-Olsson J, Karliner LS, O'Brien H, Gregorich SE, Perez-Stable EJ. Clinician ratings of interpreter mediated visits in underserved primary care settings with ad hoc, in-person professional, and video conferencing modes. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2010;21(1):301-17. (N/A to NIH Public Access Policy)
- Wong ST, Nordstokke D, Gregorich S, Perez-Stable EJ. Measurement of social support across women from four ethnic groups: evidence of factorial invariance. J Cross Cult Gerontol. 2010;25(1):45-58. PMCID: PMC2836242.
- Fongwa MN, Cunningham W, Weech-Maldonado R, Gutierrez PR, Hays RD. Reports and Ratings of Care: Black and White Medicare Enrollees. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2008 Nov;19(4):1136-47. PMID: 1902974. PMC Journal- In process.
- Katz P, Morris A, Gregorich S, Yazdany J, Eisner M, Yelin E, et al. Valued life activity disability played a significant role in self-rated health among adults with chronic health conditions. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2009;62(2):158-66. PMCID: PMC2633356.
- Kavirajan H, Hays RD, Vassar S, Vickrey BG. Responsiveness and construct validity of the health utilities index in patients with dementia. Med Care. 2009 Jun;47(6):651-61. PMID: 19433998. PMCID: PMC2771214.
- Mehta KM, Stewart AL, Langa KM, Yaffe K, Moody-Ayers S, Williams BA, et al. "Below average" self-assessed school performance and Alzheimer's disease in the Aging, Demographics, and Memory Study. Alzheimer's & Dementia. 2009;5(5):380-7. PMCID: PMC2787515.
- Napoles AM, Gregorich SE, Santoyo-Olsson J, O'Brien H, Stewart AL.Interpersonal processes of care and patient satisfaction: do associations differ by race, ethnicity, and language? Health Services Research. 2009;44(4):1326-44. PMCID: PMC2714869.
- Sorkin D, Tan AL, Hays RD, Mangione CM, Ngo-Metzger Q. Self-reported health status of Vietnamese and non-Hispanic white older adults in California. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008 Aug;56(8):1543-8. Epub 2008 Jul 15. PMID: 1863798. PMC Journal- In process.
- Thiamwong L, Stewart AL, Warahut J. Development, reliability and validity of the Thai Healthy Aging Survey. Walailak Journal of Science and Technology. 2009;6(2):167-88. N/A to NIH Public Access Policy
- Vickrey BG, Hays RD, Maines ML, Vassar SD, Fitten J, Strickland T. Development and preliminary evaluation of a quality of life measure targeted at dementia caregivers. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2009 Jun 21;7:56. PMID: 19545399. PMCID: PMC2706224.
- Weech-Maldonado R, Elliott MN, Oluwole A, Schiller KC, Hays RD. Survey response style and differential use of CAHPS rating scales by Hispanics. Med Care. 2008 Sep;46(9):963-8. PMID: 18725851. PMCID: PMC3103722.
- Yen IH, Michael YL, Perdue L. Neighborhood environment in studies of health of older adults: a systematic review. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2009;37(5):455-63. PMCID: PMC2785463.
- Choi S, Rankin S, Stewart A, Oka R. Perceptions of coronary heart disease risk in Korean immigrants with type 2 diabetes. The Diabetes Educator. 2008;34(3):484-92. PMC Journal – In Process.
- Hepner KA, Morales L, Hays RD, Edelen M, Miranda J.Evaluating differential item functioning of the PRIME-MD mood module among impoverished black and white women in primary care. Womens Health Issues. 2008 Jan-Feb;18(1):53-61. PMID: 18069001. PMC Journal- In process.
- Karliner LS, Napoles-Springer AM, Schillinger D, Bibbins-Domingo K, Perez-Stable EJ. Identification of limited English proficient patients in clinical care. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2008;23(10):1555-60. PMCID: PMC2533382.
- Kim SE, Perez-Stable EJ, Wong S, Gregorich S, Sawaya GF, Walsh JM, et al. Association between cancer risk perception and screening behavior among diverse women. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2008;168(7):728-34. N/A to NIH Public Access Policy
- Learman LA, Huang AJ, Nakagawa S, Gregorich SE, Kuppermann M. Development and validation of a sexual functioning measure for use in diverse women's health outcome studies. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;198(6):710 e1-8; discussion e8-9. N/A to NIH Public Access Policy
- Revicki D, Hays RD, Cella D, Sloan J. Recommended methods for determining responsiveness and minimally important differences for patient-reported outcomes. J Clin Epidemiol. 2008 Feb;61(2):102-9. Epub 2007 Aug 3. PMID: 18177782. PMC Journal- In process.
- Ngo-Metzger Q, Sorkin DH, Mangione CM, Gandek B, Hays RD. Evaluating the SF-36 Health Survey (Version 2) in older Vietnamese Americans. J Aging Health. 2008 Jun;20(4):420-36. Epub 2008 Apr 1. PMID: 18381886. PMC Journal- In process.
- Teresi, J.A., Ramirez, M., Lai, J.S., Silver, S. (2008). Occurrences and sources of Differential Item Functioning (DIF) in patient-reported outcome measures: Description of DIF methods, and review of measures of depression, quality-of-life and general health. Psychology Science Quarterly, 50(4), 538-612. NIHMSID # 136945.
- Thiamwong L, Mancesriwongul W, Malathum P, Jitapunkul S, Vorapongsathorn T, Stewart AL. Development and psychometric testing of the Healthy Aging Instrument. Thai J Nursing Res. 2008;12(4):286-96. N/A to NIH Public Access Policy
- Weech-Maldonado R, Fongwa MN, Gutierrez P, Hays RD. Language and regional differences in evaluations of Medicare managed care by Hispanics. Health Serv Res 2008 Apr;43(2):552-68. PMID: 18370967. PMCID: PMC2442381.
- Derose KP, Kanouse DE, Weidmer B, Weech-Maldonado R, Garcia RE, Hays RD. Developing a Spanish-language sample report for CAHPS. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2007 Nov;33(11):681-8. PMID: 18074716. PMC Journal- In process.
- Hays RD, Lipscomb J. Next steps in the use of item response theory in the assessment of health outcomes. Qual Life Res. 2007;16 Suppl 1:195-9. Epub 2007 Mar 10. PMID: 1735182. PMC Journal- In process.
- Ngo-Metzger Q, Telfair J, Sorkin D, Weidmer B, Weech-Maldonado R, Hurtado MP, Hays RD. Cultural competency and quality of care: Obtaining the patient's perspective. New York, NY: Commonwealth Fund. 2007. (This is a publication in which PMID & PMCID are not applicable.)
- Stewart AL, Napoles-Springer AM, Gregorich SE, Santoyo-Olsson J. Interpersonal processes of care survey: patient-reported measures for diverse groups. Health Services Research. 2007;42(3 Pt 1):1235-56. PMCID: PMC1955252.
- Wong ST, Yoo GJ, Stewart AL. An empirical evaluation of social support and psychological well-being in older Chinese and Korean immigrants. Ethnicity & Health. 2007;12(1):43-67. PMC Journal – In Process
- Yen IH, Scherzer T, Cubbin C, Gonzalez A, Winkleby MA. Women's perceptions of neighborhood resources and hazards related to diet, physical activity, and smoking: focus group results from economically distinct neighborhoods in a mid-sized U.S. city. American Journal of Health Promotion. 2007;22(2):98-106. N/A to NIH Public Access Policy
- Yen IH, Stewart AL, Scherzer T, Perez-Stable EJ. Older adults' perspectives on key domains of childhood social and economic experiences and opportunities: a first step to creating a multidimensional measure. Epidemiologic Perspectives & Innovations. 2007;4:14. PMCID: PMC2186311.
- Youmans SL, Schillinger D, Mamary E, Stewart A. Older African Americans' perceptions of pharmacists. Ethnicity & Disease. 2007;17(2):284-90. PMC Journal – In Process
- Stahl, S.M., Anneliese, A., Hahn (2006). The National Institute on Aging's Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research: Contributions to measurement in research on ethnically and racially diverse populations, Medical Care, 44(11), S1- S4.
- Teresi, JA., Stewart, A., Morales, LS., Stahl, SM. (2006). Measurement in a multi-ethnic society: Overview to the special issue Medical Care, 44(11), S3-S4.
- Nápoles-Springer, A.M. & Stewart, A.L. (2006).Overview of qualitative methods in research with diverse populations: Making research reflect the population. Medical Care, 44(11), S5-S9.
- Manly, J. (2006). Deconstructing race and ethnicity: Implications for measurement of health outcomes. Medical Care, 44(11), S10-S16.
- Johnson, T. (2006). Methods and frameworks for cross-cultural measurement. Medical Care, 44(11), S17-S20.
- Nápoles-Springer, A., Santoyo-Olsson, J. O’Brien, H., Stewart, A.L. (2006). Using cognitive interviews to develop surveys in diverse populations. Medical Care, 44(11), S21-S30.
- Angel, R.J. (2006). Narrative and the fundamental limitations of quantification in cross-cultural research. Medical Care, 44(11), S31-S33,
- Krause, N. (2006).The use of qualitative methods to improve quantitative measures of health related constructs. Medical Care, 44(11), S34-S38.
- Teresi, J.A. (2006). Overview of quantitative measurement methods: Equivalence, invariance, and differential item functioning in health applications. Medical Care, 44(11), S39-SS49.
- DeVellis, R.F. (2006). Classical test theory. Medical Care, 44(11), S50-S59.
- Hays, R., Brown, J., Brown, L.U, Spritzer, KL., Crall, J.J. (2006). Classical test theory and item response theory analyses of multi-item scales assessing parents' perceptions of their children's dental care. Medical Care, 44(11), S60-S68.
- Meredith, W., & Teresi, J.A. (2006) An essay on measurement and factorial invariance. Medical Care, 44(11), S69-SS77.
- Gregorich, S.E. (2006). Do self report instruments allow meaningful comparisons across diverse population groups? Testing measurement invariance using the confirmatory factor analysis framework . Medical Care, 44(11), S78-S94.
- Ramírez, M.,Teresi, J.A., Holmes, D., Gurland, B., Lantigua, R. (2006). Differential item functioning (DIF) and the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE): Overview, sample, and issues of translation. Medical Care, 44(11), S95-S106.
- Dorans, J., & Kulick, E. (2006). Differential item functioning on the Mini-Mental State Examination: An application of the Mantel-Haenzel and standardization procedures. Medical Care, 44(11), S107-S114.
- Crane, P.K. Gibbons, L.E., Jolley, L., van Belle, L. (2006). Differential item functioning analysis with ordinal logistic regression techniques: DIFdetect and difwithpar. Medical Care, 44(11), S115-S123.
- Jones, R.N. (2006). Identification of measurement differences between English and Spanish language versions of the Mini-Mental State Examination: Detecting differential item functioning using MIMIC modeling. Medical Care, 44(11), S124-S133.
- Orlando Edelen, M., Thissen, D., Teresi, J.A., Kleinman, M., Ocepek-Welikson, K. (2006). Identification of differential item functioning using item response theory and the likelihood-based model comparison approach: Application to the Mini-Mental State Examination. Medical Care, 44(11), S134-S142.
- Morales, L.S, Flowers, C., Gutiérrez, P., Kleinman, M.., Teresi, J.A. (2006). Item and scale differential functioning of the Mini-Mental State Exam assessed using the differential item and test functioning (DFIT) framework. Medical Care, 44(11), S143-S151.
- Teresi, J.A. (2006). Different approaches to differential item functioning in health applications:Advantages, disadvantages and some neglected topics. Medical Care, 44(11), S152-S170.
- Millsap, R.E. (2006). Comments on methods for the investigation of measurement bias in the Mini-Mental State Examination. Medical Care, 44(11), S171-S175.
- Borsboom, D. (2006).When does measurement invariance matter? Medical Care, 44(11), S176-S181.
- Hambleton, R.K. (2006). Good practices for identifying differential item functioning. Medical Care, 44(11), S182-S188.
- Hahn, E.A, Cella, D. Bode, R.K., Gershon, R., Lai, J.S. (2006). Item banks and their potential applications to health status assessment in diverse populations. Medical Care, 44(11), S189-197.
- Reeve, B.B. (2006). Special issues for building computerized-adaptive tests for measuring patient-reported outcomes: The National Institute of Health’s Investment in new technology. Medical Care, 44(11), S198-S204.
- Baker RS, Bazargan M, Calderón JL, Hays RD. Psychometric performance of the National Eye Institute Visual Functioning in Latinos and non-Latinos. Ophthalmology. 2006 Aug;113(8):1363-71. PMID: 16877075. PMC Journal- In process.
- Calderón JL, Morales LS, Liu H, Hays RD. Variation in the readability of items within surveys. Am J Med Qual. 2006 Jan-Feb;21(1):49-56. PMID: 16401705. PMCID: PMC1693909.
- Damiano PC, Tyler M, Hays RD, Elliott MN. Differential use of the CAHPS 0-10 global rating scale by Medicaid and commercial populations. Health Serv Outcomes Res Method (2004) 5: 193–205. (This is a journal in which PMID & PMCID are not applicable.)
- Fongwa MN, Hays RD, Gutierrez PR, Stewart AL. Psychometric characteristics of a patient satisfaction instrument tailored to the concerns of African Americans. Ethn Dis. 2006 Autumn;16(4):948-55. PMID: 17061752. PMC Journal- In process.
- Fongwa MN, Cunningham W, Weech-Maldonado R, Gutierrez PR, Hays RD. Comparison of data quality for reports and ratings of ambulatory care by African Americans and White Medicare enrollees. J Aging Health. 2006 Oct;18(5):707-21. PMID: 16980636. PMC Journal- In process.
- Higashi T, Hays RD, Brown JA, Kamberg CJ, Pham C, Reuben DB, Shekelle PG, Solomon DH, Young RT, Roth CP, Chang JT, MacLean CH, Wenger NS. Do proxies reflect patients’ health concerns about urinary incontinence and gait problems? Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2005 Nov 23;3:75. PMID: 16305748. PMCID: PMC1308844.
- Hurtado MP, Angeles J, Blahut SA, Hays RD. Assessment of the equivalence of the Spanish and English versions of the CAHPS Hospital Survey on the quality of inpatient care. Health Serv Res. 2005 Dec;40(6 Pt 2):2140-61. PMID: 16316442. PMCID: PMC1361240.
- Liu HH, Miller L, Hays RD, Golin CE, Zhao HM, Wenger N, Kaplan AH. A comprehensive evaluation of survey questions for adherence to antiretroviral medications and exploratory analyses for identifying optimal sets of survey questions. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2006 Nov;20(11):760-772. PMID:17134350. PMC Journal- In process.
- Wong ST, Yoo GJ, Stewart AL. The changing meaning of family support among older Chinese and Korean immigrants. The journals of gerontology Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences. 2006;61(1):S4-9.
- Hays RD, Farivar SS, Liu H. Approaches and recommendations for estimating minimally important differences for health-related quality of life measures. COPD. 2005 Mar;2(1):63-7. PMID: 17136964. PMC Journal- In process.
- Moody-Ayers SY, Stewart AL, Covinsky KE, Inouye SK. Prevalence and correlates of perceived societal racism in older African-American adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2005;53(12):2202-8.
- Napoles-Springer AM, Santoyo J, Houston K, Perez-Stable EJ, Stewart AL. Patients' perceptions of cultural factors affecting the quality of their medical encounters. Health expectations: an international journal of public participation in health care and health policy. 2005;8(1):4-17.
- Ramirez, M., Ford, M., Stewart, A., Teresi, J.A. (2005). Measurement issues in health disparities research. Health Services Research, 40(5), 1640-1657.
- Wong ST, Yoo GJ, Stewart AL. Examining the types of social support and the actual sources of support in older Chinese and Korean immigrants. International journal of aging & human development. 2005;61(2):105-21.
- Weech-Maldonado R, Elliott M, Morales LS, Spritzer K, Marshall G, Hays RD. Health plan effects on patient assessments of medicaid managed care among racial/ethnic minorities. J Gen Intern Med. 2004 Feb;19(2):136-45. PMID: 15009793. PMCID: PMC1492141.
- Yu J, Coons SJ, Draugalis JR, Ren XS, Hays RD. Equivalence of the Chinese version and the U.S.-English version of the SF-36 Health Survey. Qual Life Res. 2003 Jun;12(4):449-57. PMID: 12797717. PMC Journal- In process.
- Morales L, Weech-Maldonado R, Elliott MN, Weidmer, Hays RD. Psychometric properties of the Spanish Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Survey (CAHPS). Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 25 (3), 386-409. (This is a journal in which PMID & PMCID are not applicable.)
- Williams, C., Templin, T., & Williams, A., (2004). Usability of a computer assisted interview system for unaided self-entry of self-report data in an urban rheumatology clinic. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 11(4), 249-259.
- Wong MD, Asch SM, Andersen RM, Hays RD, Shapiro MF. Racial and ethnic differences in patients’ preferences for initial care by specialists. Am J Med. 2004 May 1;116(9):613-20. PMID: 15093758. PMC Journal- In process.
- Haviland MG, Morales LS, Reise SP, Hays RD. Do health care ratings differ by race/ethnicity? Jt Comm J Qual Saf. 2003;29, 134-145. PMID:12635429. PMC Journal- In process.
- Sarkisian CA, Hays RD, Mangione CM. Do older adults expect to age successfully?: The association between expectations regarding aging and beliefs regarding health care seeking among older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002 Nov;50(11):1837-43. PMID: 12410903. PMC Journal- In process.
- Stewart AL, Napoles-Springer AM. Advancing health disparities research: can we afford to ignore measurement issues? Medical Care. 2003;41(11):1207-20.
- Weech-Maldonado R, Morales LS, Elliott M, Marshall G, Hays RD. Race/ethnicity, language and patients’ assessments of care in Medicaid managed care. Health Serv Res. 2003 Jun;38(3):789-808. PMID: 12822913. PMCID: PMC1360917.
- Posner, S.F., Stewart, A.L., Marin, G., Perez-Stable, E.J. (2001). Factor variability of the Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) Ethnicity & Health, 6(2),137-44.
- Special issue Journal of Mental Health and Aging “Measurement in a Multi-Ethnic Society” (in order of volume):
- Skinner, J.H., Teresi, J.A., Holmes, D., Stahl, S.M., Stewart, A. (2001). Measurement in older ethnically diverse populations: Overview of the volume. Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 5-8.
- Stahl, S.M. A long-range innovative approach to reducing health disparities: The National Institute on Aging's Resource Centers for Minority Aging Research. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 9-11.
- Teresi, J.A. Statistical methods for examination of differential item functioning (DIF) with applications to cross-cultural measurement of functional, physical and mental health. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 31-40.
- Teresi, J.A. & Holmes, D. Some methodological guidelines for cross-cultural comparisons. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging., 7, 13-19.
- Liang, J. Assessing cross-cultural comparability in mental health among older adults. (2001) Journal of Mental Health and Aging, 7, 21-30.
- Teresi, J.A., Holmes, D., Ramirez, M., Gurland, B.J. & Lantigua, R. Performance of cognitive tests among different racial/ethnic groups: Findings of differential item functioning and possible item bias.(2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 79-89.
- Ramirez, M., Teresi, J.A., Silver, S., Holmes, D., Gurland B. & Lantigua, R. Cognitive assessment among minority elderly: Possible test bias. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 91-118.
- Skinner, J. Acculturation: Measures of ethnic accommodation to the dominant American culture. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 41-52.
- Rudkin, L. & Markides, K.S. Measuring the socioeconomic status of elderly people in health studies with special focus on minority elderly. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 53-66.
- Mutran, E.J., Reed, P.S. & Sudha, S. Social support: Clarifying the construct with application for minority populations (2001).. Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 67-78.
- Angel, R.J., & Frisco, M.L. Self-assessments of health and functional capacity among older adults. (2001).Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 119-135.
- Mui, A.C., Burnette, D., Chen, L.M. Cross-cultural assessment of geriatric depression: A review of the CES-D anad GDS. (2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 137-164.
- Ford, M.E., Hill, D., Butler, A., Havstad, S. Applying health locus of control and John Henryism active coping theories to older american adults.(2001). Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 165-172.
- Nápoles-Springer, A.M. & Stewart, A.L. (2001). Use of health-related quality of life measures in older and ethnically diverse U.S. populations. Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 1, 7, 173-179
- Chatters, L.M., Taylor, R.J. and Lincoln, K.D. Advances in the measurement of religiosity among older African-Americans: Implications for health and mental health researchers. (2001).Journal of Mental Health and Aging. 7, 181-200.
- Ramirez, M., Ford, M., & Stewart, A. (2000). Measurement and methodological issues in minority aging research. The Behavioral Measurement Letter: Behavioral Measurement Database Services. 7, 13-18.
- Stewart, A.L., Napoles-Springer, A. (2000). Health-related quality-of-life assessments in diverse population groups in the United States. Medical Care, 38(9 Suppl), II102-24.
- Teresi, J.A., Kleinman, M., Ocepek-Welikson, K., Ramirez, M., Gurland, B., Lantigua, R., Holmes, D. (2000). Applications of item response theory to the examination of the psychometric properties and differential item functioning of the CARE Dementia Diagnostic Scale among samples of Latino, African-American and White non-Latino Elderly. Research on Aging, 22, 738-773.
- Stewart, A.L., Napoles-Springer, A, Perez-Stable, E.J., Posner, S, Bindman, A.B., Pinderhughes, H.L., Washington, A.E. (1999). Interpersonal processes of care in diverse populations. The Milbank Quarterly, 77, 305-339.